All reproduction rights reserved, copyright Jan Blencowe 2006. NO images on this website may be reproduced in any manner without express written permission from Jan Blencowe.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Playful Primrose


Here is an entirely different interpretation of the red primrose! The whole point of this sketchbook exercise was to really explore the possibilities of watercolor. My goal was to work wet-in-wet for that soft, diffused mysterious look and to see how many colors I could pile on before I got near the point of muddiness. I was hoping to achieve the feeling of ornate richness on the vase, intensity of color in the flowers and a soft harmonious background that functioned as an actual element in the painting not just an after-thought. I did far less planning upfront and just let things flow....and now I'm beginning to see the kind of spontanaity that watercolor is famous for.

No comments: