All reproduction rights reserved, copyright Jan Blencowe 2006. NO images on this website may be reproduced in any manner without express written permission from Jan Blencowe.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie



Before Maggie came into our lives we had two dogs who lived to ripe old ages. I sketched them hundreds of times and knew every line and angle that was necessary to capture them in a drawing. We've had Maggie for 2 1/2 years and during that time I've been concentrating on painting "en plein air" a French phrase meaning "in the open air". A fancy way to say I paint outside! As a result I haven't gotten to "know" Maggie with pen and paper yet and I'm not really able capture her "look". In this series of sketches she's sleeping on the floor, I think in the sketch on the right side I'm beginning to get the hang of drawing her.

Black marker and walnut ink.

1 comment:

Papierflieger said...

Hi Jan,
I like your drawings very much, in particular this dog portrait.
But also the birds nests are wonderful.

Martin